Monday, January 24, 2011

California Drivers and Irrational Fears

In the light of a recent devastating car accident near our house (8-10 cars and 3 deaths) I have been thinking lately about California driving/biking/walking. It's hell. These are possibly some of the worst commuters I have seen in my years. I have driven or been a passenger in some traditionally horrible driving conditions, with some of the worst drivers out there (Chicago, Cincinnati, Washington D.C., Boston, Dallas, Costa Rica, etc). But Southern California may very well top them all.


There seems to be this pervasive theory here in California that everyone believes they are more important than everyone else. This seeps through in many situations (shopping, waiting in line, walking down the street, biking a meandering path through the park), but most of all in driving. The drivers all seem to think that they and their destination point are THE most important thing. Now, I'm not just talking fast driving, cause if that were the case I would be one of the guilty. No, I am talking about irrational speeding (90-100mph), weaving in and out of traffic defying physics and spatial reality, honking in a stopped traffic jam, entering the freeway and somehow needing to be immediately in the left lane despite the fact that they have JUST GOTTEN ON THE FREEWAY, purposefully ignoring a signal when others need to change lanes, speeding up so you can't change lanes (no getting in front of me buster), well the list goes on and on. It's just mind boggling.

And I know in every city in every state, you'll find one or two fools that drive like this. I know everyone has had these situations happen to them. But here, HERE, it is a very high percentage of people that drive this way. It's a very offensive driving experience. No defensive driving, no passive driving, you are out to get the next guy...or at least rudely get in front of the next guy without signaling. It's a survival of the craziest situation here. A battleground. On the plus side, these mindsets have really expanded my driving vocabulary beyond just the typical swearing and flipping the bird. I have made up new words and new word combinations never thought possible. And other times I just try to chill out and let it be...I mean, hey, that person may very well be much more important than me.

Maybe this is the commuting culture because there are so many people out here that are transplants from everywhere else around the country and world. Is that the problem? That everyone comes from different driving traditions and when we all get together it's utter chaos and people go crazy and just forget common road courtesy. Or is it the type of person that comes to Southern California? The one that truly thinks they are a VIP. "I am here world! I have made it! Now get outta my way." I don't know.

I find myself always, always being in a defensive driving position. I am on the lookout not just for typical traffic, but that car/motorcycle that catches my eye because something just ain't right. I am continuously looking in my rear view mirror, side mirrors, and front window...not because I am changing lanes, but just to be aware. I am like a spooked rabbit in my car, always on edge. I have a very long commute in the morning and evenings (about an hour each way without traffic) and this predisposes me to encounter a lot of people on the roads. I would say every other day on the 405 I see an accident having just happened or having happened within the last 30 minutes. Accidents are so common here, that the California Highway Patrol (yep, CHiP) is quite good at getting the road cleared within a decent amount of time. We must get traffic back to flowing, cause god forbid we slow down the 2,000 potential VIPs waiting behind that accident line.

Because of my history of bad traffic living (Chicago) and my current condition of worst traffic living, I have what could possibly be described as irrational fears. Walking down the street or riding our bikes in street conditions, I can never relax. Even as a pedestrian or biker I am on the defense. I am convinced that around every corner is a crazed Hummer waiting to speed out of his/her driveway and squish my dog and I on our morning walks. On every major street is some moron incapable of waiting that 5 seconds for me to pass their turning spot while I'm on my bike, nope they must speed up and cut in front of me, causing me to go keester over head over my handlebars. Ok, well, that last one actually happened, so maybe my fears are not so irrational. This in turn causes me to want to warn everyone, or try to control situations, as much as I possibly can. Now don't get me wrong, I know my loved ones are perfectly capable of leaving the house and walking down the street or riding a bike. I know that, and I know I cannot control how stupid people drive. But if I can try to manage any other variables of the situation, that may make stupid people drive worse or more aggressively, then I will try. Which may come off as trying to be controlling or anal, but such are the outcomes of irrational fears.

So loved ones, when you come visit and I try to "encourage" a certain path of walking, or go over and over the bike path loop and it's pitfalls, please know I am aware that you have made it this far in life without being run over and most likely you are capable of going out in to the world without mayhem following you. But that was elsewhere, you are in Southern California now. The land of "me first" and "YOU get out of MY way". So please, just smile and nod if you must, but pay attention when I tell you about that one hill where the road bikers will run you down if you dare to walk at a slow pace, or to REALLY pay attention when crossing the street (you MUST use the walk signal button) cause if you are slow in getting out of VIPs way, you may get squished. And that can really ruin a family visit.


0 comments :

Post a Comment